- What time do you like to be at your desk?
It varies quite a bit but I like to get in by 09.00. If there’s excess work I tend to find it better to do it in the evening when it’s settled and quieter.
- Do you think tough decisions are best taken by one person?
Managerial ones yes, but they should be properly understood by as many as possible.
- What is the best way to prepare for leadership: an MBA or out in the field?
Leadership attributes shine out in the field.
- Do you want to be liked or respected?
Respected, but you can’t be unless a reasonable number of your stakeholders like you as well. You’re going to disenfranchise some element of your stakeholder group from time to time.
- What does your support team look like?
It’s unusual because it’s a very small office but I think my support team is always heavily occupied by experts in the relevant disciplines.
- What technology do you take on a trip?
I’m sort of married to my iPad, I’m afraid.
- Run in the morning?
- Wine with lunch?
I used to a lot… I think as a CEO the answer’s always been no, apart from that rare special occasion. Also, at my age, you get sleepy.
- Do you socialise with your team after work?
- What is your key management advice?
Make sure you’re surrounded by the best experts.